Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2013

How do you write a good Matron of Honor speech?

So my younger sister is getting married next month.....and I'm the Matron of Honor.  Soon into the wedding planning, she asked me if I was in fact going to give a speech and then followed with a comment making it sound like I had no choice....."ugh, a speech?" I thought, sounds like a good time!  After leaving an alterations appointment with her a few weeks ago I asked if she still had her speech from my wedding....
My younger Sister
...as you can see it was an emotional one, she looked at me and said "I think so, why?"  I said, "do you think I could borrow it?" The look she gave me after it clicked was nothing like the one in the picture below :)

Younger Sister, Me


So I've been thinking about this speech. Over and over.  It runs through my head- make sure it's funny, make sure it's heartfelt, make sure you make them cry while trying not to be too much of a gush yourself.  My older sister said to me the other night, "just google #maidofhonorspeech and I'm sure you'll find some great ideas!"  This made me laugh of course but I thought...hmm, what a GREAT idea!   Of course I want to write from my heart and I don't want to steal other speeches- so the #knot.com was enough help to give me some guidelines.  So tonight I started to write some things down, referencing some conversations my sister and and I have had about her now fiance....and now my once dreaded speech is half finished :)

Younger Sister, Me, Older Sister


No comments:

Post a Comment