Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Hobbies & Helping Hands

One year ago I quit my full time job and was able to focus all of my time and energy on being the best stay-at-home mom I can be (and wife too!). Being a mom is something I've looked forward to for a long time and I'm grateful to be able to do what I do.  Last fall I was reflecting on my hobbies.....or lack there of really and tried to think about what I'm good at or what I love to do- and I've always been a little creative. So I decided to pursue jewelry making- something I have learned is that there is a huge market for jewelry. There are an unlimited amount of people out there who make all kinds of jewelry; for some it's their hobby, a lot are stay at home parents...and a few I've learned have been able to make it their full time job. I've always been a fan of personalized and custom jewelry. A few years back my husband got me a necklace with my daughters name on the front and her birth date on the back.....I LOVED it! So it gave me the idea to start looking into how to do it, what I needed, who I needed to ask for help from- both suppliers and other artists out there who might be willing to teach me or mentor me a little in the best ways to get started. Of the eight to ten people I emailed for help- guess how many were willing to write back more than a single sentence of advice?

ONE. 

She taught me most of everything I've learned. She was just like a teacher- gave me lists of supplies needed, websites for multiple suppliers to use, different links for how-to videos and tutorials on certain processes.......and the list goes on. SHE has made it something she can do full time, something that provides a substantial income for her and her family .....and she's another stay-at-home mom!  It's been inspiring to get to know her and to not feel alone in my learning process. I appreciate that she was willing to help me even though I wanted to do what she does. 

At the end of the day- I want to use my blog to try and inspire and help others to follow their dreams, chase their hobbies, and to know that there are people out there who will help you and offer advice. I don't have any reason to hide what I've learned....and I don't intend to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment